These Team Guidelines are consistent nationwide and are designed to produce fair, orderly, and challenging league night play for all UPA members. The UPA does not recognize, nor allow, variation(s), documents or local bylaw(s) of any kind.
2.0 League & Member Dues
2.1 New Members
Prior to participating in any UPA league and/or being added to any team roster (8 max), new members must:
- Complete Membership Application
- Pay Membership Dues
2.2 Membership Renewals
Annual Membership Dues are required upon receipt of renewal notification. Players are not permitted to participate beyond membership period without Renewal.
- Active Team Captains receive free Membership Renewals when captaining a team at time of annual Renewal.
2.3 Nightly Dues
Teams are responsible for payment of Membership and Nightly Dues.
- Forfeited matches are still required to pay Nightly Dues.
- “Bye weeks” are not granted points, nor are Nightly Dues required.
3.0 Team Captain Responsibilities
Captains are responsible for all general communication, as well as ensuring that league night paperwork and Nightly Dues are properly submitted.
Nightly Dues are to be paid in full each league night, if not:
- Bonus Point deduction = 4 points.
- Teams must pay, in full, on their next scheduled night of play or team members will not be permitted to participate in any UPA league nationwide.
3.1 Team Names
All Team Names must be approved by UPA Corporate. Due to the nature of the UPA brand and future Nationwide Public Broadcasts (TV, Radio, Print, etc.), Team Names must be PR appropriate and always G-Rated. When a Team Name does not meet said criteria, the Team Name will be changed immediately to a Team Name ID until an appropriate name is approved.
4.0 League Night
4.1 Putting Players in the Box
All matches are determined prior to beginning any match play without conferring with teammates. Matches cannot be changed once determined or shall be forfeited.
- A Team that does not “put players in the box” within 15 minutes of Start Time automatically forfeits all matches.
- Official League Paperwork will be distributed to Team Captains
- Competing Team Captains (or team member) flip a coin to determine who chooses a player to put in the box first. The other Captain then determines which teammate will play that player. Alternate process until all matches are determined (see 4.2, Player Substitutions).
- Matches are to be played, as listed, on the Team Match Card. Both Captains may agree to play matches out of order, however they are never obligated.
- Players must be present and ready to play when their match time has arrived or it may result in a Forfeit (see UPA Rules).
4.2 Player Substitutions
Only one (1) Player Substitution is allowed, per team. This allows one (1) player to play two (2) matches. The opposing Team Captain has the right to determine which available player is to play twice (within Speed limit).
- Prior to “putting players in the box”, the Team Captain utilizing the Player Substitution must inform the opposing Team Captain and announce available players from Official Team Roster.
4.3 Adding Team Players
Adding players to teams is at the discretion of the league operator. However, players can never be added to any team the final two (2) weeks of any session.
- A player cannot play for two teams within the same division
4.4 Team Speed Limits*
If a Team does not field enough players for all possible Matches, a Speed penalty occurs reducing the overall Team’s Speed limit:
- Collective player Speeds for five (5) Matches cannot exceed twenty-eight (28)
- Collective player Speeds for four (4) Matches cannot exceed twenty-three (23)
- Collective player Speeds for three (3) Matches cannot exceed eighteen (18)
- Collective player Speeds for two (2) Matches cannot exceed thirteen (13)
*Master & Modified divisions may differ.
NOTE: Any Match exceeding Speed Limit shall be forfeited. It is the responsibility of Team Captains to ensure that proper Speed Limits are enforced.
4.5 Point Splitting
Every match is worth 10 points. The player with the lower Speed has an opportunity to steal three (3) points even when they lose matches. If the player, with the lower Speed, wins half their games they steal three (3) points from their opponent.
- The player with the higher Speed can never “steal points”
- Point Splits never occur for equal Speeds/Races
Teams have the opportunity to receive up to ten (10) Bonus Points on league night based on performance in the following areas:
- 2 points = Starting on time/No Make-up Matches
- 4 points = Membership/Nightly Dues paid in full
- 4 points = Accurately/completely submitting all paperwork
6.0 League Paperwork
All completed Match Cards and Scorecards must be appropriately signed/dated and properly submitted to the responsible league representative. All submitted paperwork is considered final and is always subject to review by the LO and must meet UPA Corporate Office requirements.
NOTE: First/Last names must be included on all paperwork along with printed signatures.
7.0 Make-up Matches
When a League Operator (LO) determines that a Make-up Match is appropriate, completed Scorecards must be submitted to UPA Corporate within fifteen (15) days of the original match date or shall be forfeited. Both Teams involved in any Make-up Match shall incur a Bonus Point deduction for not playing the originally scheduled Match.
NOTE: Make-up Matches are never permitted for the last two (2) weeks of any session.
8.0 Forfeited Match Points
- Individual Player Forfeits = 10 points
- Entire Team Forfeits = 7 points per match (+ Bonus Points)
9.0 Team Drop Policy
When a Team Drop occurs:
- The dropped team forfeits all Prize Fund and Team Captain and/or players are subject to suspension from UPA leagues nationwide.
- Find a new team to take the place of the dropped team and continue, OR
- LO shall contact UPA Corporate to determine how to proceed; continue, end, etc.
NOTE: New (additional) teams are not permitted to join active divisions, unless a Team Drop has occurred.
10.0 End of session
In the event of a tie between teams in a paid spot, one (1) match will be played between two (2) players to determine the winning team. A coin toss shall determine which Team Captain is to put a player in the box first. The chosen players will play one (1) standard match to determine the winner. (Results do not affect other standings).
10.2 Tie-Breaker (3 Way)
In the event of a tie between 3 teams in a paid spot, each team shall select a player to enter into a “Mini-Tournament.” The team with the highest Bonus Points, in that session, shall receive a bye and play the winner of the other two players in one standard league night match. If all teams have equal BP’s, a 3-way lag shall determine which player receives the bye. The final winner of the “Mini-Tournament” is to receive the Prize Fund.
Results do not affect other standings.
All PF is consistent nationwide and shall be paid at the end of each respective session (within 1 week) without the use of playoffs, “additional matches.”
Official UPA Prize Fund payouts are public information and are always available on our website.
Code of Conduct
UPA members are expected to know and follow all UPA rules, policies, and guidelines. Members will conduct themselves in a manner consistent with UPA ideals and will work to represent the UPA in a professional and courteous manner. Any member that disrespects UPA Corporate Staff, Representatives, fellow members, or host venue staff is subject to immediate suspension, loss of Prize Fund and/or Membership.